One of my favorite times of the year is apple season! I think of all the fun yummy smells and warm baking like apple butter in the slow cooker, Dutch apple pie, apple turn-overs and those delicious apple crumble breakfast muffins. Even fresh and smooth apple sauce!
Can you just smell the apple and cinnamon aroma in the air? This is exactly why we've decided to create this stuffed apple tutorial with cinnamon stick stems. They are so beautiful for home decor all season, and the bonus is, you get to enjoy the wonderful smell of cinnamon!
You can make these apples stuffies as scrappy as you like, or all one color. If you don't have cinnamon sticks on hand that's okay, just use a small twig instead if you're aching to get this project done to decorate your home for the Fall season. The pattern template comes in three sizes, download the template, select the size you want to make choose your fabric!
Don't forget, September is Apple Season month at Bee Sew Inspired and we are making "An apple a day!" Come and join us for one or all of the days this month and make some sweet, fabric apples. Join the Apple Season SAL HERE.
Sewing Machine or Embroidery Machine
Iron and Wool Mat
Hand sewing needle
Green Benzie Wool Blend Felt (use the code "BEESEWINSPIRED" at checkout for 10% off your first purchase at Benzie)
Scraps of your favorite cotton fabrics in red, green and yellow. (I used Lori Holt's Bee Plaids for Riley Blake Designs.)
Embroidery Thread in matching colors
Small amount of Polyester Fiber Fill
Cinnamon sticks or small twigs for apple stem
If you haven’t already, become a Bee Sew Inspired - Maker's Club Annual Member. This gives you access to our entire growing, Maker's Club library of downloads! Including Quilt - Story Block of the Month patterns, Doll Patterns and Accessories (Sewing and Machine Embroidery versions), PDF templates, SVG cut files and more!
1. Download the Apple Pattern designed by Bee Sew Inspired. You can choose either the PDF Pattern to hand cut your shapes, or the SVG Cut File and follow the directions to have your Cricut Maker cut the felt shapes. Make sure to use your rotary blade and set the fabric to felt. Use the template to cut out six panels in total.
2. Fuse the Heat-N-Bond Fleece to the wrong side of your decorative fabrics BEFORE cutting the shape. This will help keep the fabric stable while cutting out the curved edges. Choose fabrics in two designs or up to six if you'd like each panel to be different.
3. Using the templates cut out the apple shape.
4. Take two adjacent panels and place right sides together. Stitch down one edge using a 1/4" seam allowance.
5. Repeat until all six panels are joined together, with the fabrics alternating. To join the fruit up, stitch the edges of the first and last panels together. Stitch down from the top and stop around 1/2" from the end, to leave a hole for the filling.
6. Turn your apple right side out so it is ready to be filled. Don't underestimate how much toy filling you need! Keep pushing wisps in until it's tightly packed. Here is the trick: BEFORE you close your apple opening in the next step, insert a cinnamon stick into the center of the apple. Push through all the stuffing so it is well secured and stable. For extra durability, you can add some hot glue inside the apple to the stick.
7. Oversew the gap to close it and finish off securely. I like to use a invisible ladder stitch.
8. Knot and secure your thread but leave a nice long end ready to attach leaf with a few discreet stitches. And there you have it – one perfect apple!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with weekly inspiration, downloadable patterns, cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower the next generation. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with our Annual membership online community, or on social media by using the hashtag #BSImakersclub — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY projects complete with pattern downloads, tutorials, templates, embroidery files, SVG cut files and more! Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy creating! ~ Jennifer Long
Download the Apple Stuffie
patterns, templates, SVG cut files below.
Not a member? Join today!
Click the button below
Member's Download the Pattern below.