This Bee Baby Teether is a great addition to any gift basket you'll send off to a family expecting a new baby! Not only can you make them cute and colorful, but this project will also help you get through your fabric stash. Yay!
Let's Get Started!
The Bee Teether is a quick in-the-hoop embroidery project, an embroidery machine is required. However, you can also make them with your sewing machine. Simply download the PDF pattern and print out the template. Note: there are 3 sizes available to choose from depending on the size of your wooden ring and how large you want the "wings" to be. Gather your favorite fabrics and colors for a personal touch and let's get started.
Sewing machine or Embroidery machine
Iron and Wool Mat
Hand sewing needle
Small length of non-fraying ribbon
A natural wood ring (unvarnished and not painted)
2 fat quarters of fabric (quilters weight cotton)
Embroidery Thread in matching colors
Tear-away embroidery interfacing (for embroidery machine version)
Please make sure that all materials used are baby safe and non-toxic.
If you haven’t already, become a Bee Sew Inspired - Maker's Club Annual Member. This gives you access to our entire growing, Maker's Club library of downloads! Including Quilt - Story Block of the Month patterns, Doll Patterns and Accessories (Sewing and Machine Embroidery versions), PDF templates, SVG cut files and more!
We're going to start with the instructions for the embroidery machine and finish up with quick instructions for a regular sewing machine and pattern template.
1. Start by downloading the required files for your embroidery machine. This project is an in-the-hoop embroidery project and only requires one hooping. Place the Tear-Away interfacing in the hoop. Next, layer of fleece and then the first layer of fabric with the right side up. Stitch out the first steps on your embroidery machine. These first steps will show placement and then "quilt" your Bee Teether.
2. Next, place the second layer of contrasting fabric over the entire stitched out area, with right side down. Stitch out the final outline stitches. Remove the hoop for the machine and slowly remove the Tear-Away interfacing.
3. Trim seam allowances to about 1/4" and clip curves to get a nice rounded edges.
4, Turn your work right side out through the small opening and press. Top stitch along the entire perimeter about 1/8" away from the edge.
5. Insert the Bee Wings into the wood ring and then insert the Bee Wings into the fabric loop just created to form a knot.
6. To form the antennae, wrap the non-fraying ribbon around the wood ring 2 or 3 times and tie a knot so it doesn't come undone.
PDF Template for regular sewing machines.
1. Download the printable paper pattern template (or SVG cut files) in the desired size. Print and cut out the template.
2. Cut out fabrics (2 layers) and fleece (1 layer)
3. Place fabrics with right sides together and place the layer of fleece on either side.
4. Using a 1/4" seam allowance sew around the perimeter leaving a 3" opening on the straight edge of the shape.
5. Turn right side out and follow the steps 3 to 6 to finish off your Bee Teether Ring!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with weekly inspiration, downloadable patterns, cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower the next generation. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with our Annual membership online community, or on social media by using the hashtag #BSImakersclub — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY projects complete with pattern downloads, tutorials, templates, embroidery files, SVG cut files and more! Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy creating! ~ Jennifer Long
Bumble Bee Teether
machine embroidery files,
PDF pattern templates
or SVG cut files below.
Not a member? Join today!
Click the button below
Member's Download the Pattern below.