The scrunchie: The basic scrunchie is such a popular first project for young sewists. It's easy and quick to make, and it's also a very practical item for those with long hair. The hair scrunchie is also an amazing stash buster!
We hope you enjoy our take on the scrunchie, we've added felt flowers because what is spring without flowers in our hair!
If you're a Maker's Club member you get download the PDF in sewing pattern templates, and SVG cut files.
Iron and Wool Mat
Hand sewing needle
Turning tool (hemostat)
Scraps of your favorite cotton fabric (we used some our favorites from Riley Blake Designs basics line)
Small amounts of felt for the main part of the flower
1/4" elastic (6" long)
Embroidery Thread in matching colors
If you haven’t already, become a Bee Sew Inspired - Maker's Club Annual Member. This gives you access to our entire growing, Maker's Club library of downloads! Including Quilt - Story Block of the Month patterns, Doll Patterns and Accessories (Sewing and Machine Embroidery versions), PDF templates, SVG cut files and more!
1. Download the Fox Tail Scrunchie Pattern designed by Bee Sew Inspired. You can choose either the PDF Pattern to hand cut your shapes, or the SVG Cut File and follow the directions to have your Cricut Maker cut the felt shapes. Make sure to use your rotary blade and set the fabric to felt.
2. In this variation of the Srunchie project use a green fabric as the leaves. Use the template to cut 2 leaf shapes on the fold of the fabric making sure you have a mirrored the image to be able to set them right sides together as shown.
3. With right sides together, using a 1/4" seam allowance to sew along the perimeter of the shape. Leave an opening about 3" wide to be able to turn your work right side out. Clip corners and trip curve to get a nice smooth finish when turning right side out. Press well and top stitch at about 1/8" from the edge. Set aside.
4. Cut out a 4" x 16" piece of the main fabric. Fold in half lengthwise. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, start with a backstitch 1.5" away from the edge and finishing with a backstitch 1.5" away from the edge. Turn your work right side out.
5. Match up the short edges right sides together to form a loop, stitch using a 1/4" seam allowance. Go slowly, this step can be a little tricky.
6. Using a safety pin or tool, insert the elastic through the opening. Pin or use a clip to keep the ends of the elastic together.
8. Stitch the elastic ends together securely.
9. Using a tight ladder stitch, close up the opening. Set aside with the leaf shape.
10. Cut 2 pieces of felt about 5" long by 2" wide in the desired colors. These pieces will become your little pompom flowers.
11. Fold one piece lengthwise and stitch close to the edge (about 1/8"). Snip the folded edge at about 1/4" intervals as close to the stitching as you can without cutting the thread. Repeat with the second piece of felt.
12. Roll the piece of felt so that the bottom edges match and hand stitch to secure the base of the flower. Repeat with the second length of felt.
13. Tie the leaf ends to the scrunchie and hand stitch the flowers to the leaves securely.
We are here to help you explore your creativity with weekly inspiration, downloadable patterns, cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower the next generation. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with our Annual membership online community, or on social media by using the hashtag #BSImakersclub — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY projects complete with pattern downloads, tutorials, templates, embroidery files, SVG cut files and more! Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy creating! ~ Jennifer Long
Fox Tail Scrunchie
templates and SVG cut files below.
Not a member? Join today!
Click the button below