We enjoyed making the Castle Block so much this month, that we decided we needed two of them! One Castle Block that would integrate well with all the other Story Blocks from Enchanted and another that could become a Haunted Castle - in a fun and not so spooky kind of a way - complete with ghosts, bats, spiders and Jack O' Lanterns!
Imagine how pretty this would look as a huge throw pillow or a wall hanging using the colors you love for this time of the year.
Iron and Wool Mat
Hand sewing needle
Cutting machine such as a Cricut or ScanNcut (optional)
Haunted Castle Templates (members can be download at the end of this tutorial - just make sure you are logged in at the top of our website)
Your favorite quilter's cotton fabrics in a range of colors oranges (we used a blend of Riley Blake Designs Seasonal Basics)
Embroidery Thread in matching colors
HeatNBond Lite (small scraps)
If you haven’t already, become a Bee Sew Inspired - Maker's Club Annual Member. This gives you access to our entire growing, Maker's Club library of downloads! Including Quilt - Story Block of the Month patterns, Doll Patterns and Accessories (Sewing and Machine Embroidery versions), PDF templates, SVG cut files and more!
1. Download the Castle Story Block of the Month by Bee Sew Inspired. Print out the pattern in Adobe Acrobat Reader, if you don't already have this on your PC it is FREE to download. Use the 1" test square on the pattern template page to make sure the pattern is the proper size! Assemble the Enchanted Castle Quilt Block. Read the Castle Quilt Tutorial HERE.
2. Print out the templates (members can download below) to create your Haunted Castle. We'll be using these templates for a raw edge applique technique.
3. You can use a light box to trace out the shapes directly on the paper backing of the HeatNBond Lite. If you don't have a light box set yourself up at a window, tape the template sheet to the window and then the layer of HeatNBond Lite so the natural light will help you trace the shapes. You can also cut out the templates and trace the contour of the shape with the help of your cut out.
5. Once all your shapes are traced and fused to the fabric you've selected, you can relax on your favorite chair and cut all the shapes out on the drawn lines. Now you are ready to play!
6. Play around with the placement of your shapes. You can make more Jack O' Lanterns than we have shown here in the example or you may want to omit the spiders in your Haunted Castle. It's all up to you!
7. Once you're happy with the placement of all the elements to be appliqued, remove the paper backing and fuse into place using your hot iron. You can now embellish using a blanket stitch around your objects or a triple stitch to keep everything in place. Work slowly for more accuracy in stitching into place.
8. All your spiders, bats, and little ghosts are in place but we need to add detail to them! Using an embroidery needle and 2 to 3 strands of embroidery floss make French knots for the eyes and use a backstitch to create the little spider legs and the ghost's smile. Use the templates to transfer the spider web details etc for embroidery.
Your Haunted Castle Quilt Block is complete!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with weekly inspiration, downloadable patterns, cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower the next generation. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with our Annual membership online community, or on social media by using the hashtag #BSImakersclub — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY projects complete with pattern downloads, tutorials, templates, embroidery files, SVG cut files and more! Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy creating! ~ Jennifer Long
Members download the
Castle Quilt Block Pattern
Haunted Castle Applique
patterns, templates, SVG cut files below.
Not a member? Join today!
Click the button below
Member's can Login to the website and download the Patterns and templates below.