The much-awaited Pinafore Doll Dress is finally here and what better way to celebrate this new doll clothing pattern then by creating a fun tutorial to add a ruffle at the hem line. There are so many possibilities with this clothing pattern.
The Pinafore Doll Dress pattern includes pieces to fit (3) sizes of Bee Sew Inspired Dolls: 14”, 16” and 18” dolls.
Let's get creative! Just gather the supplies below, then download the pattern and pdf templates or machine embroidery files. Don't forget to share your Pinafore Doll Dress on social media using the hashtag #BSImakersclub and tag @beesewinspired.
Sharp, small scissors
Iron and ironing board
Turning tool or knitting needle
Snap button tool
1/2 yard (50cm) of quilter's weight cotton (We used Riley Blake Designs Seasonal Basics by Christopher Thompson - The Tattooed Quilter)
Pinafore Doll Dress Pattern (Members can download this pattern at the bottom of this post or you can purchase it from the shop HERE)
Variety of colors of threads
Scraps of fusible interfacing
Embellishments such as buttons, bows, ribbons, lace etc. (optional)
1. If you haven’t already, become a Bee Sew Inspired - Maker's Club Annual Member. This gives you access to our entire growing, Maker's Club library of downloads! Including Quilt - Story Block of the Month patterns, Doll Patterns and Accessories (Sewing and Machine Embroidery versions), PDF templates, SVG cut files and more!
2. Gather all your tools and supplies
3. Download and print out the correct pattern template size for your Bee Sew Inspired Doll you are sewing the clothing for.
4. Cut and label all your fabrics according to the directions.
5. Follow the fully-illustrated, step-by-step instructions without sewing the hem!
6. Cut out two lengths of fabric 18.5" x about 2". Play around with the width of the ruffle to achieve different looks!
7. Match the two short ends with right sides together. Using a 1/4" seam allowance stitch into place. Finish off the seam allowance using a zigzag stitch or serger. Press the seam to the back.
8. On the top edge of the ruffle at 1/8" baste a long stitch without backstitching at the beginning or the end. Make sure to leave a long tail on your thread.
9. Fold the hem 1/4" and press, Fold once again 1/4" and press into place. Now is the time to try some of those fancy stitches on your machine! Create a fun hem with contrasting threads and an intricate design.
10. Pull slightly on the bobbin thread to create the gathers. Line up the side seams of the pinafore and ruffle and distribute the gathers evenly and pin in place with right sides together.
11. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, stitch the ruffle into place
12. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, stitch the ruffle into place
13. Be creative! Use your imagination to add embellishments, embroidery details and texture!
14. Your favorite Bee Sew Inspired doll is now ready for just about any event!
Your Pinafore Dress (with ruffle bottom) is now complete!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with weekly inspiration, downloadable patterns, cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower the next generation.
Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with our Annual membership online community, or on social media by using the hashtag #BSImakersclub — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY projects complete with pattern downloads, tutorials, templates, embroidery files, SVG cut files and more! Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy creating! ~ Jennifer Long
3 sizes included to fit 14”, 16” and 18” Bee Sew Inspired dolls.
Fully illustrated step-by-step instructions.
Not a member? Join today!
Click the button below